Wednesday, January 10, 2018

The Pantry Challenge 2018- Use It Up

Ahh yes, tis the new year, and the pantry challenge starts anew!

One thing I did over the holiday break was clean out the pantry, fridge, and freezer. It seemed we always had so much food in there, but nothing I could quickly defrost or heat n' eat.

In the pantry I discovered three bottles of balsamic vinegar. Sooo many spices. Jars of sauces. Wheatgrass powder from 2008 (ugh yikes). Two containers of pancake mix - in which my best friend is always telling me to just whip up my own and not use a mix and it IS tastier and easier. Countless cans of soup. Olive oils and sprays.

The fridge was full of half-used condiments that said best by 2018..but I'm pretty sure I bought them LAST January. A side note- don't ever donate used or expired goods to a food pantry, non-profit or charity- they can't use them either and must toss, so if you do donate pantry goods, make sure they are well within usable range. 

All areas of the kitchen were getting cleaned and items evaluated.

I also made a resolution to myself- If I buy it, I must use it within the month. I am a huge lover of Crate & Barrel, Williams Sonoma, Dean & DeLuca as well as HomeGoods and Marshalls, with all their yummy kitchen items. 

Savory risotto- yes please. 
Mushroom sauce- oh yeah. 

I love to buy stuff from these stores! Olives, vitamins, smoothie mixes, teas, pastas, sauces. Oh yes, I do use them...eventually. But really....

No, I kinda of hoard then and feel fancy. Until I go searching for food and realize I have been 'saving' all these great items for a special time, and I never make that time happen.

So I vow to use an item within a month of purchasing. Pecan caramel pancake mix from WS? Check. Olives from HomeGoods? Check (ate them both on Sunday actually, when I wrote this post! Not done the package/ jar, but I will be within the week.)

I'll let you know how it goes- what are your food resolutions?

No comments:

Time to Plan NYE 2023! Get Ready for 2024 with These Great Products

 It's that time again, the end of the year and time to rest, relax, and recharge to 2024! Here's what to wear, what to eat and how t...