Saturday, January 7, 2017

Snow Day Soup

So, we are a week into the new year- and my husband and I have been sick for most of it. I've been living on tea, packaged noodle soup, and orange juice. Plus cough drops and antibiotics.

We've had a couple snowy days, so yesterday I began my Snow Day Soup. I haven't had much of an appetite, and was craving fresh vegetables. 

Here's my recipe for you!

I began with sautéing a diced onion and butter in my glazed cast iron stock pot. Then I added a splash of olive oil, and added a chopped organic sweet potato. 

To the whole mix I added Swanson's low sodium chicken broth, parsley, a bay leaf, and a teaspoon of French herbs.

While that was simmering, I rinsed and soaked a cup of dry black beans. After it all melded together, I let it cool and put it in the fridge overnight. 

This morning, while watching snow fly past the windowpanes, I pulled out the soup and heated it up. I quickly skimmed off the butter milk fats and discarded them. 

Once it was heated through, I used my immersion blender to blend the potatoes and onions into a creamy broth. 

I added a leaf of organic kale, and tossed in the cup of softened beans to cook further. I also quick cooked a cup of pasta pearls. 

And... It was 
A success! My husband and I throughly enjoyed this soup - full of beta carotene, fiber, and greens! 

Enjoy- let me know if you've tried it! 

No comments:

Time to Plan NYE 2023! Get Ready for 2024 with These Great Products

 It's that time again, the end of the year and time to rest, relax, and recharge to 2024! Here's what to wear, what to eat and how t...